To view the years review from Founder and Director click here

The Chase and Tyler Foundation

The Chase & Tyler Foundation was established by Vanessa Robinson in 2011, after her sons, Chase 8 and Tyler 6, died from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning in May 2010. This was caused by a gas heater in their rental property, which leaked carbon monoxide, due to a lack of servicing and maintenance. The accident highlighted not only a lack of knowledge of gas safety and carbon monoxide poisoning by the Australian community but also within the gasfitters/ plumbing trade along with emergency services such as ambulance, police, firefighters, emergency departments and GP’s.

Since the accident, Vanessa Robinson has worked alongside Energy Safe Victoria by appearing in domestic consumer awareness campaigns as well as Licensed and qualified gas fitters training DVD. Vanessa was also a silent partner alongside the Hon Dr. Sharman Stone who called on state and federal leaders to push for legislative changes in regards to gas safety, which the government then headed the national Gas Safety Strategy.

The Chase & Tyler Foundation is an independent charitable organisation working to prevent deadly carbon monoxide poisoning throughout Australia. We will deliver a national preventive health effort by working with stakeholders for an effective sustained investment in prevention and health promotion.

What Is Carbon Monoxide

It is toxic gas with fumes impossible to see, taste or smell. It is often referred to as the “silent killer” as its effects can be deadly and you can die from inhalation before you are even aware of it.

How is it produced?

Carbon monoxide (CO) is produced by the incomplete burning of various fuels, including coal, wood, charcoal, oil, kerosene, propane, and natural gas.

Who is at risk from Carbon Monoxide?

All people and animals are at risk for CO poisoning. Certain groups such as pregnant women, unborn babies, children, the elderly and people with chronic heart disease, anemia, or respiratory problems are more susceptible to its effects.

Read more

Danger Signs & Symptoms

Danger signs to look out for around gas and other fuel-burning appliances include:

  • Sooting, yellow or brown staining on or around walls, ceiling or below the appliance.
  • Excessive condensation in the room where the appliance is installed.
  • Lazy yellow or orange coloured gas flame, rather than a sharp blue one Note: gas log fires have yellow flames for a decorative effect.
  • Pilot lights that frequently blow out.
  • Peeling paint above the appliance.
  • Sooting flecks on the ground and underneath appliance.

Symptoms

Knowing what to look out for is the first step in combating carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide causes mild effects that are often mistaken for the flu. They include:

  • Headaches
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea

Read more

Preventative Measures

Sticking to some basic but very important rules within the home will assist to protect you from the risks of carbon monoxide poisoning.

WARNING: A carbon monoxide alarm can provide added protection against carbon monoxide in emergency situations. An alarm is NO substitute for proper use and upkeep of appliances. Be sure to take adequate measures to prevent you and your family from falling victim to carbon monoxide poisoning.

Read more

Gasfitters and Plumbers

All information provided by the Chase and Tyler Foundation. For more information please visit http://www.chaseandtyler.org.au

Click here to view our Gas safety and testing services

Chase and Tyler Foundation
Left Menu Icon
Right Menu Icon